As of October 23, 2009, The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention continue to inundate us with chilling swine flu tales: 46 states report a swine flu outbreak; 20,000 hospitalized with the Swine Flu since April; 1000 swine flu deaths in the US alone. In response, President Obama declared the Swine Flu outbreak a national emergency.
Chilling facts but There's Other Information
Behind this statistical mask, the pharmaceuticals tout their latest miracle drug to combat this enemy. In turn, our government urges and even demands our participation in a massive inoculation.
Panicked, many of us respond in fear. Due to this, people across the country wait in line to receive the swine flu vaccine. In Los Angeles County, according to Dr. Jonathan E. Fielding, the county's director of public health, the county clinics vaccinate about 300 people an hour.
Given this information, what would Buddha do?
We can infer his response through one of his quotes. “Do not believe anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many…Do not believe anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders…But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”
Therefore, take the time to analyze some Swine Flu facts:
* 1) CBS News recently reported that the statistics generated by the CDC do not come from verifiable documentation but merely generated from reports of people feeling sick with flu-like symptoms. In other words, doctors no longer test for the Swine Flu, but record any flu-like symptoms as the Swine Flu. This includes respiratory conditions usually associated with a cold.
* 2) Studies suggest that flu vaccines DO NOT WORK. In other words, scientific evidence does not support the claim that flu vaccines prevent the onset of the flu.
* 3) Other studies suggest a possible link between flu vaccines with an increase in flu deaths. Before 2003, reported deaths of children under the age of five remained very low and even showed a decline. In 2003, the CDC advocated vaccinating children. Since then, reported deaths of children under the age of five continued to dramatically rise.
* 4) Hungarian and Swedish news sources recently reported people dying shortly after receiving the Swine Flu vaccine.
* 5) Although personally tragic, the supposed startling figures of 1000 deaths does not necessarily warrant great concern. Consider that many other diseases silently claim more lives without a whimper of concern. For example, hospital infections alone kill some 90,000 people annually in the US. Where is the miracle drug to prevent this disaster--or are the numbers too low to generate sufficient revenue?
Given this information, I doubt that Buddha would take the Swine Flu shot.
So why are we so quick to jump on the swine flu bandwagon? According to the second noble truth of Buddhism, most of us are driven by cravings, desires, and ignorance. Due to this, we experience great suffering.
In the case of the Swine Flu, we crave good health and fear the possibility of getting sick. So, we panic, clinging to our hopes and running from our fears.
Through our ignorance, we accept any method or technique that professes a solution away from pain--without truly examining the evidence.
In this case, the perceived threat is the flu. The proposed solution is the vaccine. However, strong evidence fails to support the claim that a threat and/or solution exists. Yet, many of us disrupt our lives, and possibly our current health, waiting for the advertised cure from suffering.
Due to this posting, the Swine Flu Task force will probably come knocking at my door, threatening me for practicing medicine without a license. Or, as a threat to National Security.
However, I do not suggest or recommend against you taking the Swine Flu vaccine. I only suggest you follow the ancient wisdom of Buddha and examine the evidence carefully before making a decision, instead of reacting to rumors or fear campaigns generated by a private company and/or the government.
To paraphrase Buddha: Show me the facts!
For more information concerning flu vaccines, check out the National Vaccine Information Center at http://www.nvic.org/
In his search for Truth, Dr. Greg Rubino amassed a diverse selection of degrees and certifications: Doctor of Metaphysical Science, Masters in Jungian Psychology, Bachelors in Sociology, Certified Yoga Instructor (500 hours), Reiki Master, and Ordained Interfaith Minister. Based in Pasadena, California, Dr. Greg now writes articles focusing on health and spirituality. You can contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and/or view some of his writings at: http://www.examiner.com/x-13255-LA-Interfaith-Spirituality-Examiner.